Ministry of defence Republic of Serbia
 
29.06.2015.

Ministers Gasic and Vulin visited the reception centre for migrants in Presevo



Министри Гашић и Вулин обишли прихавтни центар за мигранте у Прешеву Minister of Defence Bratislav Gasic and Minister of Labour, Employment, Veteran and Social Policy Aleksandar Vulin visited today the Municipality of Presevo where they learned about the situation related to taking care of the migrants from African and Near-East countries that illegally cross the state border, seeking asylum in our country.

Ministers Gasic and Vulin visited construction works on the temporary reception centre in the old building of the tobacco processing company in Presevo and the ambulance team of the Military Hospital Nis, and later spoke with the migrants from Syria, Afghanistan, Eritrea and other countries, to whom Serbia is a passing point on their way to EU states.

Minister Gasic said that the Republic of Serbia adequately took care of the asylum seekers and that it did everything for them to be provided for, in healthcare and other sense. He negated the allegations that Serbia did not take adequate care of the migrants.

- The Serbian Armed Forces, with other security structures, continues providing heath care for a large number of migrants, and our main Министри Гашић и Вулин обишли прихавтни центар за мигранте у Прешеву task is to primarily guarantee the security of the Republic of Serbia and its citizens, and then of these people here – Gasic said.

Minister Vulin stated that Serbia protected its borders and that all asylum seekers would be guaranteed human and legal rights, but that no one could cross the border any way and anywhere they might please.

- In the former tobacco factory, the Serbian Armed Forces has already prepared everything and the object that had been out of function for eight years has been arranged in several days; the Ministry of Interior is today equipping the facility with IT equipment, so I expect the centre to be in function tomorrow or the day after – Minister Vulin said.

According to Major Dusan Tatic from the Military Hospital Nis, the ambulance team that had been deployed since last Monday in Presevo had conducted over 250 examinations and provided aid to all migrants that had needed it.

- The most often problems are pains caused by exhaustion and tiredness from long walking, inadequate diet, malnutrition due to lack of food and water – Tatic said.

Министри Гашић и Вулин обишли прихавтни центар за мигранте у Прешеву Upon the initiative of the Minister of Defence, a reception point had been formed for the asylum seekers at the location of the deserted Tobacco Industry factory Vranje in Presevo, which had been arranged by members of the 4th Army Brigade, and it will be equipped by members of the Red Cross and the Ministry of Interior. The capacity of the reception centre should be up to 300 persons.

Minister of Defence was accompanied in Presevo by Lieutenant General Milosav Simovic, Army Commander, Brigadier General Zoran Lubura, 4th Army Brigade Commander and Colonel Branko Ilic, Acting Head of the Department for Military Healthcare.

photoPHOTOGALLERY
videoVIDEOGALLERY