Ministry of defence Republic of Serbia
 
24.10.2010.

SEESIM Day of distingusihed guests



The Day of Distinguished Guests at the international high command staff simulation exercise SEESIM 2010 (South Eastern Europe Simulation 2010) was held today for all 14 participating countries of this important activity, which was organized in the framework of cooperation between defense ministers of South East Europe (SEDM).

The exercise brought together participants from 14 European countries, the United States and international organizations for assistance in emergency situations. The final part of the exercise started on October 18 and will last till 25 October, while yesterday’s video conference between the exercise command in Tiaran and the national staff commands, gave an overview of the exercise. The Serbian delegation in Tirana was led by State Secretary of Ministry of Defence Zoran Jeftic, Deputy Commander of Joint Operations Command SAF Brigadier General Milan Mojsilovic and Deputy Head of the Emergency Situations Ministry of the Interior Djordje Babic.

In the House of the Guard in Topcider, journalists were addressed by State Secretary Dusan Spasojevic, Deputy Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Mladen Cirkovic and Branko Jovanovic, Head of Risk Management Division of the Emergency Situations, Ministry of Interior of Serbia.

State Secretary Dusan Spasojevic said that today's exercise is a summit of years of effort and cooperation of ministries of defense and armed forces from the countries of Southeast Europe, and many ministries of Serbia and organizations in the defense system that includes dealing with this exercise.

Spasojevic said that Serbia has become a full member of the Cooperation Process of Defense Ministers of Southeast Europe (SEDM) in October last year and actively participates in all forms of activities that aim to promote cooperation, trust and stability in the region.

- Today's exercise is the best proof that the region achieved a very successful collaboration. Serbia has signed agreements in the field of defense with all countries in the region, except Albania, where an initiative for the signing of cooperation agreements is under way, said Spasojevic and praised the work of many participants in the exercises, both from the Ministry of Defense and the Army of Serbia, as well as from other ministries and organizations, whose commitment and coordinated work showed that Serbia can successfully counter all risks and threats, especially in response to emergencies, terrorist threats and organized crime - said Spasojevic.

Deputy Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Mladen Cirkovic said that only the joint operations in the region can successfully confront risks and threats, especially in emergency situations and mitigation of their consequences.

- It is important for the members of the Serbian Armed Forces to take a more active role in the region, Europe and worldwide, while participating in simulation exercises, such as this, as well as in real crises- said General Cirkovic and announced that the members of the Army are continuing to participate in such activities that harmonize emergency response procedures.

Branko Jovanovic, Head of Risk Management Division of Emergency Situations Ministry of Interior of Serbia, said that this is not the first engagement of the newly formed Emergency Management Staff, as he recently had his first task to monitor the real danger for emergency situation in Hungary. He pointed out that in Serbia, there is a high risk of floods and technological accidents and the Department of Emergency Situations Ministry of Interior of Serbia are successfully cooperate with all countries in the region.

According to the Director exercises Colonel Sasa Stefanovic, the goal is to act upon developed scenarios of crisis situations (natural disasters, technological accidents, terrorist threats, etc...) by activating the national emergency response centers and creating mechanisms for verification of the reaction of practice.

The exercise scenario is based on the terrorist and cyber attacks, and other types of emergency situations that arise as a result of human factors and natural disasters on the territory of Southeast Europe. Serbia’s national scenario refers to events and activities related to the floods that have caused a significant number of casualties and considerable material damage, as well as criminal and terrorist activities, protection of borders, preventing the smuggling of goods and people, and the proliferation of dangerous materials.

In the drill activities in Serbia, nearly 100 participants were engaged from the Ministry of Defense and the Army of Serbia, Ministry of Interior (Police Administration Ministry of Interior, Department for Protection and Rescue Administration, Traffic Police Directorate of Security and the Border Police), Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Agriculture Forestry and Water Management, and the Serbian Red Cross, with the support of the district, municipal and local governments and organizations in civil protection.

The total cost of exercise in all participating countries is3 million USD, largely financed by the United States.

SEESIM exercises are organized every two years and they are a sophisticated way of practicing at the national and regional level. So far, four such exercises in Southeast Europe have been held with Serbia as an observer at exercise SEESIM 06 (2006) and SEESIM 08 (2008).