- Statements by Staff of the Joint Military and Police Force
- International military coopration
- Public hearing
The Years of Not Investing in the Serbian Armed Forces Are Behind Us
Minister of Defence Aleksandar Vulin, accompanied by Chief of General Staff of the Serbian Armed Forces General Ljubiša Diković, visited today newly constructed facilities and facilities in the process of construction for housing materiel in the barracks „Boško Palkovljević Pinki” in Sremska Mitrovica.
The facilities in question are four hangars for housing materiel, out of which one was completed in 2016; two were constructed late in 2017, while one is still being built.
After touring the facilities, Minister Vulin pointed out that the Serbian Armed Forces aimed at providing shelters for all its materiel during this and the following year, and that the objective was to eliminate the effects of the NATO Aggression and create the best possible conditions for the work of our members, just like our technical assets should be kept in the best possible conditions in order to extend their life cycle, thus improving their serviceability and to show that the years of not investing in the armed forces were far behind us.
- For this year, the Serbian Armed Forces, or the Ministry of Defence allocated 743 million dinars from the budget for the improvement of military infrastructure, and from its own revenues the Serbian Armed forces will allocate additional 480 million dinars, by means of which we will certainly significantly improve the state of our infrastructure and consequently of our materiel. Here in Sremska Mitrovica, we have invested more than a million euros so that these facilities have good conditions and are functional – Minister Vulin underscored.
He also expressed his gratitude to the local government which had been cooperative and assisted with necessary works.
- Every investment in the Serbian Armed Forces is the investment in development of local community as well and the investment in the development of the entire country. Every investment in the Serbian Armed Forces is an investment in better standard of life of every citizen of Serbia and certainly, every investment in the Serbian Armed Forces is an investment in peace and stability of our country, and that is something that we require the most – Minister of Defence sent the word.
According to the minister of defence, the hangars in the barracks in Sremska Mitrovica are intended to house materiel, such as tanks, combat armoured infantry vehicles.
According to the Commander of the 1st Army Brigade of the Serbian Armed Forces Brigadier General Želјko Petrović, in December 2015, the works were initiated on the construction of the first hangar for housing combat vehicles of units located in the barracks in Sremska Mitrovica.
- That year, many years after the NATO bombardment, for the first time, a construction of facilities was initiated that enabled placing our materiel under the roof. That will ensure that the materiel is more serviceable, we will extend its life cycle and enable the units to discharge their tasks in the best possible manner – General Petrović pointed out.
After touring the facilities, the Mayor of Sremska Mitrovica Vladimir Sanader expressed his satisfaction with the cooperation with the Ministry of Defence and for investing its resources in the barracks in that town, adding that he hoped that the good cooperation would be continued in the future to mutual satisfaction.
Answering a reporter’s question regarding the production of special uniform for tankmen, Minister Vulin confirmed that it was a type of uniform, and that the aspiration was to adjust them to the needs of the members of the Serbian Armed Forces.
- Pursuant to the order of the Supreme Commander, Aleksandar Vučić, we have received more than a billion dinars for the replacement of uniforms, for the procurement of new boots. Each our soldier will have two sets of uniforms and that has not happened since the time of YPA (Yugoslav People’s Army), and we want to take this particular opportunity for different units to get suitable uniforms tailored in accordance with their specific needs – the minister of defence stressed.
Asked to comment on today’s arrest of a member of the Serbian Armed Forces, Minister Vulin stressed that a communique was issued in connection with than matter, and that the Serbian Armed Forces paid much attention to maintaining its reputation and it also protected the reputation of each its member and that it would always act in accordance with law and instruction of competent prosecutors.
- I cannot comment on that until an adequate adjudication is passed, until an adequate procedures is initiated, but it is certain that it is not without reason that the Serbian Armed Forces is one of the most appreciated and the most renowned institutions in our nation, among others, because it pays so much attention to itself and its reputation and those who work for it – Minister Vulin underlined.